In November 2014 Amazon releases Alexa and the Amazon Echo, available to prime members only. Amazon Echo is a smaller device, powered by Amazon Alexa. Amazon Alexa is the name for the suite of Software and Cloud Services that together bring the Alexa Voice experience to its devices. Simply put, Alexa is the Brains (Software) and Echo is the Device (Hardware). These smart speakers are capable of voice interaction, streaming music, making to-do lists, setting alarms, playing audio-books, and providing weather, traffic, sports, and other real-time information, such as news. Users are able to extend the Alexa capabilities by installing “skills”. Skills is what keeps Alexa going as a constant learning device, “skills” add another layer of functionality besides the already pre-set functions mentioned above. It is through skills that an Alexa or Echo user may ask many diverse questions to the device including funny questions and/or jokes. Here’s a list of some of the funny questions one may ask your device:
1. Alexa what is the meaning of life?
2. Alexa do you know Cortana?
3. Alexa do you like pizza?
4. Alexa will you be my girlfriend?
5. Alexa can you rap?
6. Alexa tell me a joke?
7. Alexa can you spell, SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS?
8. Alexa do you know Siri?
9. Alexa are we in the Matrix?
10. Alexa make me a sandwich?
While some of the answers to these questions may not seem funny they are nonetheless an answer provided by the “skills” algorithm of an artificial intelligence. The randomness of each individual’s asking potential becomes aggregate data that beefs up the “skills” algorithm each time it interacts with an end user. For instance, a ridiculous question like “Alexa, what color are my buggers?” has no set answer or response but once asked it becomes part of your history with the “skills” algorithm. Eventually an answer may go from “I don’t know.” to “You are disgusting?” However, jokes are pre-set. And the Amazon Echo has many funny jokes awaiting the user to ask. Here are a few “hypothetical” jokes and “potential future” responses the A.I might have:
1. Knock, knock, control freak is here now turn off and go mute?
a. Wow, what a control freak.
2. Why do we tell actors to break a leg?
a. Because every play has a cast.
3. Helvetica and Times New Roman walk into a bar?
a. Get out of here we don’t serve your type, shouts the bartender.
4. Why are there so many conmen in politics?
a. Because of CONgress.
5. Why was the control freak late?
a. Because he was controlling others to fail.
6. Why do ghosts love?
a. Because of ghost love.
7. What is a control freaks ideal job?
a. A delegator of scams.
8. What does N.A.S.A stand for?
a. Never A Straight Answer.
9. What did the male volcano say to the female volcano?
a. I LAVA you.
There you have it folks. Who says A.I cannot make a funny.